Monday 6 April 2020

March Update / April Challenge

IT'S UPDATE TIME


So I haven't actually done a proper update post since I started this blog in November last year. I have done a total of 16 posts (including this one), which is much less than what I had planned to do. hmmm ๐Ÿคจ I guess I'm not as organised as I thought I was. Stupid life, always getting in the way. Actually, I've been reasonably busy when I think about it; there were changes at work over summer, my partner quit his job to study so he's been home a lot more than I'm used to, we went on holiday for 3 weeks in February and when we got home the world exploded! Last month was pretty interesting and crazy, and the craziness continues. I hope everyone is doing OK during this hectic situation, and finding some time to read during your lockdown/isolation/whatever they're calling it now.

I haven't been reading much at all, which sucks! I don't think I even finished any books during March, since I have found the whole situation a bit stressful and distracting. Initially I was checking updates super regularly and not doing much of anything except for work. In the last week or so I've managed to back off from that and chill a bit more, so I did get a couple of overdue reviews written and posted on the blog for Twilight Seeker and Sorcery of Thorns. BUT - panic stations - my Goodreads challenge is telling me that I'm now 4 books behind schedule! ๐Ÿ˜ซ So I really need a kick in the backside to get me into gear to sit on the couch and read more!

Enter the OWLs Magical Readathon. 


I saw this April challenge on a couple of other blogs that I'm following and I decided it was just what I needed to get me out of my reading slump. Thank you Hollylovesbooks and Nerdy by Nature for bringing this amazing Harry Potter themed reading challenge to my attention, but mostly thank you to the amazing Book Roast who has devised this whole event!

Basically, the goal is to study for our OWLs wizarding exams with a Readathon. (I did mention this was Harry Potter themed, right?) This whole thing has been created by G at Book Roast, check out her YouTube video that explains it all if you're interested. She has put so much effort and creativity into making all the prompts, and a career guide and everything, it's so amazing, and we can all be jealous of her extensive collection of HP merch! So each subject has a prompt, each career guide has a list of subjects you need to study for, and there's a few extras as well. I have picked the career Magizoologist, ๐Ÿ˜„ so I need to study for 4 subjects, meaning I have 4 books to read.


Seriously how cool is this? You need to go check out the website with the rest of the careers there's heaps! https://www.magicalreadathon.com/copy-of-induction-to-magical-readat 

So this month I need to study for:


Herbology: the prompt is Mimbulus Mimbletonia: title starts with an M.
I just happen to have an ARC of Mageborn, which I haven't gotten to yet, so that's perfect for this. I just started reading it.


Care of Magical Creatures: the prompt is Hippogriffs: creature with a beak on the cover. 
I'm going to read The Bear and the Nightingale, which I got for Christmas and I can't wait to read it. My cover has a bird on it. 


Charms: Lumos Laxima: white cover.
I have Air Awakens which has been sitting on my kindle for a couple of years now. 


Potions: Shrinking Solution: book under 150 pages. 
I'm so happy I get to read something short, that will make it easier for me to succeed in this, seeing as I'm already starting a few days late. I'm going to read Sparkle Witch, a novella that goes with the Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic series I read last year (I'm going to try and post reviews for that some time soon as well)


There's also a couple of extras, including a Dragon Training Seminar, where I have to read a book featuring dragons! ๐Ÿ˜„ I haven't chosen a specific book for this one yet, but I'll try and smash out the others so that I can get this extra one in. 

I'm really excited to do this Readathon, and hopefully it helps get me out of my slump. Definitely join in if you want to, and let me know in the comments! It sounds like there's lots of rules, but really it is just for fun. 

Happy Reading ๐Ÿ’—

Keep up to date with my progress on instagram @iwishiownedabookstore or Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment