Friday 17 April 2020

Daughter of Souls and Silence by Annie Anderson

Daughter of Souls and Silence by Annie Anderson
Rogue Ethereal #2
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐

A Council full of Ethereal Elders wants me dead. Yep, it’s a regular Tuesday.
When you kill a demon there are consequences.

Centuries-old witch, tattoo artist, half-demon… none of those titles are going to save me this time. The only way I’m going to get out of my death sentence is to take down the biggest, baddest demon there is… My father.
And I thought being burned at the stake was bad...


Read my review for book 1 in this series here.

I really didn’t enjoy this one as much as the first book, which was pretty disappointing. In a lot of ways it was very similar to the first book, with lots of action, but basically the same bad guy. The main character is still really cool and if anything she gets more badass. The world development is good, with more info about different ethereals, and we learn about the magical council. I thought all of that was really cool, apart from the demons being super OP compared to witches, but if they weren’t then our MC wouldn’t be so kickass I suppose. We get to learn more about her parents’ story as well, which was kinda cool.
There were plot holes. Well, not so much holes, as random additions that seemed like they were added to the story as an afterthought, that were not in the previous book. Such as, 'by the way I have a sister I never mentioned', even though there was plenty of discussion about her family, well, mother, previously. It felt a bit like the fifth series of Buffy when Dawn shows up. There was another plot point about the bad guy that belatedly got added to the story from the first book that really didn't make sense to me.

I found the non-romance really annoying. I don’t want to give spoilers, but the potential love interest from the first book basically finishes before it starts for a dumb reason and I found that really frustrating. I have no idea where the romance, if any, will go in future books.

If you like lots of action in your urban fantasies then this is a good one, with the MC getting attacked out of the blue pretty much every time she has a breather. Her powers are really cool too and I do like her as a character. I wanted to like this one because Max is cool, and I want to know more about her powers, and I like the world. I just couldn’t get past all the issues in the book so I won’t be continuing this series. I'm sure other people can enjoy this without focusing on the issues like I do.

Thanks for reading!

If you enjoyed this review you can follow me on Instagram @iwishiownedabookstore and feel free to add me on Goodreads ðŸ’—

No comments:

Post a Comment