Saturday 30 January 2021

Down The TBR Hole #1

Is your TBR out of control? Because mine certainly is!


There are more books on my 'Want to Read' list than I will ever be able to physically read, and let's be real, I'm going to keep adding to that list forever. So I've decided to take a good look at that list to decide which books I'm actually going to read one day, and which books I can let go of. 

Down The TBR Hole is a meme I first discovered on Starlightbooktales and was created by Lost in a Story. The goal is to cleanse your TBR of all those books you’re never going to read and sort through it all to know what’s actually on there.

The rules are simple:
  • Go to your Goodreads Want to Read shelf
  • Order by date added (starting with the oldest)
  • Take the first 5 (or 10) books
  • Read the synopsis and try to remember why you added it to the list
  • Decide whether to keep it or remove it.
So lets' take a trip down memory lane to the first books I added to Goodreads over 5 years ago and see if I still plan to read those books. Titles link to Goodreads.

Want to Read: 625 Books


Dreamer's Pool by Juliet Marillier

I love Juliet Marillier's books, though I haven't read one in years. I actually have this whole trilogy sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me and I don't know why on earth I haven't read them yet. I absolutely still want to read this series, and this book is on my must read list for this year. 

Verdict: Keep

Flame of Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier

This is the 6th book in a series that absolutely I love, but I read it so long ago that I definitely need to do a re-read of the whole series. It's on my to-do list but I don't know when I'll get to it. Either way this book is on my shelf, and I love the series so much that I couldn't possibly cull this one.

Verdict: Keep
The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier

Can you tell who my favourite author was in 2015? This is another book from an unfinished series. I'm very disappointed in myself. Realistically though, I didn't love this series as much as the Sevenwaters series. Even though this one is also sitting on my bookshelf, I'm gonna have to let it go for now. 

Verdict: Remove

The Caller by Juliet Marillier

Another one! *facepalm*
And again, another unfinished series. 
While I did enjoy this series, it was more young adult, and I'm less keen on YA these days. I'm 31 now and I tend to prefer Adult books with characters closer to my own age. For that reason, I'm going to let this one go.

Verdict: Remove

Twixt Firelight and Water by Juliet Marillier

This is actually a short story, which is part of the previously mentioned Sevenwaters series. I don't often read a lot of short stories, though I do appreciate them as part of a longer series. However, this one is actually part of an anthology, which I own (see below) so I'm going to remove this one from the list. 

Verdict: Remove

Prickle Moon by Juliet Marillier

Of course I own the anthology you guys! I was obviously obsessed with this author and own a copy of all her books, so yeah. Even though I've never actually read an entire short story anthology, I'm going to keep this for when I eventually get around to my re-read of the Sevenwaters series. 

Verdict: Keep

Battle Magic by Tamora Pierce

Finally a different author! I loved Tamora Pierce as a teenager, but with this one it ended up being so long between books that I had well and truly moved on from the series by the time this book came out. While I loved the original series (this is part of the spin-off series), and while I would totally re-read the original quartet, I just don't think I would ever get around to this one.

Verdict: Remove

Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb

I actually tried reading this book several years ago, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. While I loved the first two trilogies set in this world (Assassin's Apprentice and Ship of Magic) this just didn't capture me. While I might come back to it eventually, I would rather read The Dragon Keeper, another series set in the same world. So I'm going to let this one go.

Verdict: Remove

The Stone Key by Isobelle Carmody

Part of another unfinished series. I'm the worst. This was another case of a really good series where I waited too long between books and forgot what was happening. If you're looking for a YA Dystopian adventure with a telepathic cat then this is a great series, but for me, I just don't think I'll ever go back to it. 

Verdict: Remove

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Is anyone else still waiting for the third book in this series to be published? The Name of the Wind was a phenomenal book and I've had the sequel sitting on my shelf for I don't know how long. It's been about ten years and there is still no ETA on the third book, which is just a little bit devastating. Screw it, I'm holding out for that book!

Verdict: Keep


Want to read: 619 Books


Well out of ten books I've removed six! That is progress my friends. While I plan to do one of these posts about once a month, chances are I'll have added at least another 6 books to the ol' TBR by then. I blame bookstagram and my complete lack of self control, but hey, there's a reason I need to get this list under control. 

Let me know if you've read any of these books and if you think they are worth keeping or removing. Have I inspired you to get your own TBR under control? Let me know if you do a TBR cull too!

Until next time, happy reading!

If you enjoyed this post, follow this blog for updates and find me on Instagram  @iwishiownedabookstore or add me on Goodreads ðŸ’—

No comments:

Post a Comment