Tuesday 21 July 2020

Mini Review: Tales From the Front by Elise Kova

Tales From the Front by Elise Kova
(Air Awakens 2.5)
My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

This little bonus is a freebie which you can get by signing up for the author's mailing list. You can't actually buy it anywhere.

It contains 12 short stories, or rather scenes, told from different perspectives. It is recommended to read it between books 2 and 3 in the series. 

If you haven't started this series then check out Air Awakens, followed by Fire Falling.

As the author explains in the beginning, this little freebie is to make up for the literal cliffhanger ending in book 2. It kind of overlaps the end of book 2 with the beginning of book 3. It doesn’t really reveal too much though, and it is written from multiple different points of view, instead of Vhalla’s. I liked that we got to see these little insights into some of the other characters, like Baldair and Fritz, as well as meeting some new characters too.

It is very short, about 12 short scenes from various characters, so while we do learn a little more information, it really isn’t enough to properly introduce the new characters, or to get over the cliffhanger if I’m being honest. As I said, it is really very short, so not much happens, which is the main reason for my low rating.

I particularly like the chapter from Elecia’s point of view, because in Fire Falling I didn’t like her very much as she is basically the ‘other woman’ and she’s not very nice to Vhalla. I think it’s good that we get to see a little of what makes her tick, and that she’s really not so bad, probably.

While this is a nice little addition to the overall story, and something to keep you going between books 2 and 3, I don’t think it’s necessary to read it. Especially now that the whole series is published, you could definitely go straight on to Earth’s End. But if you’re a completionist like me, you can get your free copy by signing up to the author’s mailing list. I'm actually enjoying her newsletters so far, because they are not spammy at all, and she also includes some general life lessons and writing guidance for aspiring authors as well so I think it’s worthwhile subscribing if you're interested.

Happy reading, and watch out for my review of the next book in this series Earth's End. You can get blog updates by signing up to the mailing list, or you can follow me on Instagram @iwishiownedabookstore or add me on Goodreads ðŸ’—

No comments:

Post a Comment