Monday 6 January 2020

2020 Reading Goals

Hello readers! I’m setting my Goodreads goal for this year at 52 books. That’s one book a week, which I’ve never done before. In 2019 I managed to read 45 books, which is still way more than I’ve read previously, so I’m really happy with that. Another goal for me this year is to try and post on the blog at least once a week, as my posts have been fairly sporadic so far, as this is still new to me. I may not make it, I may fail miserably, but I will try. Wish me luck.


My other goal is to stop buying so many books. I always get sucked in by cheap or free kindle books, which I almost never read. I have no idea how many books are on my kindle, but I’m sure I’ve only read a fraction of them. There are also a heap of unread paperbacks on my shelf that I keep meaning to read but never get to. My goal for this is to not buy any new books until my birthday in June, only read books I already own, or can borrow from the library (or maybe get some ARCs). Watch me fail miserably at this, I have no willpower haha. [Edit: I just got Kindle Unlimited on a 3 month deal, that doesn’t count as buying books, does it?] To make things a little more interesting for myself and for you I’m going to join in on the A to Z Reading Challenge hosted by Ginger Mom and Company. Basically I will try to read at least one book beginning with each letter of the alphabet. I'll keep track and will post quarterly updates here on the blog.


Onto the books I plan to read. I don’t want to prescribe too many specific books, because I will inevitably diverge from that list, but here’s a few I DEFINITELY am going to read this year.




The Shadow and Bone Trilogy. I’ve been meaning to read these, everybody else seems to be reading them and it gets bumped up the list because it’s getting made into a TV show. Obviously I have to read the books first.


Re-reading the Mercy Thompson Series. This is one of my favourite series, and it’s what got me into Urban Fantasy. However, when I read the last one, there were characters and events mentioned that I had totally forgotten about. This series (plus the spin-off) has 18 books, with a new one coming this year, so we’ll see how I go with this one.





Finish A Court of Thorns and Roses. I read the first one, didn’t love it (for various reasons, mainly the hype) but everyone tells me the second one is better, so I WILL be finishing the series this year.

Blackthorn & Grim Series. Juliet Marillier is one of my favourite authors, yet this series has been sitting on my shelf, unloved, for a few years now. It’s well past time I read it.

Guild Codex by Annette Marie. I discovered the series last year and LOVED IT.  I will be continuing to read this series, and the spin-off, and everything else this author has written, just as soon as I get around to it. 




There are so many other books I’ve been meaning to get to, but work and life and sleep just gets in the way, dammit. I’ll leave the rest up to what I feel like reading at the time, and I’ll try to stick to what I already own, or what’s available at the library. We’ll see how long I last before I start buying more books lol, I have zero self-control, I need help. What are your reading goals this year? How many books are you aiming for? What’s on your TBR? Happy reading 💗

If you want updates on what I'm reading, follow my bookstagram @iwishiownedabookstore

No comments:

Post a Comment