Thursday 1 October 2020

Book Review - Brimstone Bound by Helen Harper, a Magical Whodunnit

Brimstone Bound by Helen Harper
(Firebrand #1)
My Rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Mystery

A werewolf killer. A paranormal murder. How many times can Emma Bellamy cheat death?
I’m one placement away from becoming a fully fledged London detective. It’s bad enough that my last assignment before I qualify is with Supernatural Squad. But that’s nothing compared to what happens next.
Brutally murdered by an unknown assailant, I wake up twelve hours later in the morgue – and I’m very much alive. I don’t know how or why it happened. I don’t know who killed me. All I know is that they might try again.
Werewolves are disappearing right, left and centre.
A mysterious vampire seems intent on following me everywhere I go.
And I have to solve my own vicious killing. Preferably before death comes for me again.



Overall Thoughts


This book has all the elements that I like, but for some reason left me feeling a little underwhelmed. I’m not quite sure what it was, maybe it was the missing romance (though we have been promised a very slow-burn, once we get rid of the annoying boyfriend of course). Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood. I still liked it, and I think writing this review made me like it more, is that normal? The last series I read by this author was really funny, and this didn’t have the same vibe, being a murder mystery and all, but I’m really looking forward to finding out more about this new mystical world. 

Loads to enjoy:
  • An MC with the “unusual ability to un-die”
  • Mysterious vampire crime-solving companion.
  • Three seemingly unrelated but very fishy deaths. 
  • Werewolf and vampire and police politics.
  • Creative London setting. 
  • A crossbow wielding detective. Now that's what I'm talking 'bout!

Characters


Trainee Detective Emma Bellamy is determined to do well at her final placement before she becomes a real detective, even though she gets posted to Supernatural Squad. No trainees get sent there. The other departments think it’s a bit of a joke. The vampires and werewolves deal out their own brand of justice for their own kind, and it’s not like a human could make a supe do something they don’t want to anyway. But Emma was trained to solve crimes, to protect the innocent, and that’s what she’s going to do, even if it means stepping on some big, furry toes. Emma is fearless, and determined to see justice done and make her dreams come true. Coming back from the dead will just have to be a problem for another day. 

I’d never seen anyone look so pale. ‘You were dead,’ she whispered. ‘Clearly not.’

I’m very keen to read more about Lucas, the mysterious vampire who decides to help Emma solve the murders and keeps showing up at just the right time. Not suspicious at all. He is definitely a candidate for a slow burn romance, but I anticipate that being a little complicated. 
Dr Hawes, the pathologist in the morgue is a fun side character as well. The scene where Emma wakes up in the morgue is just so funny. I hope we see her again in future books, which would of course mean more deaths. Bring it on!

So Many Mysteries!


The plot really focuses on solving the murder mystery, which was awesome. Finding all the clues, and following all the hunches, interrogating some wolves and it just doesn’t make any sense! It all comes together really well in the end. The mystery of how or why Emma died and came back to life is a strong side plot, which I’m very much looking forward to solving in the upcoming books!

I most definitely was not dead. I poked myself again just to be sure. Nope. Not a ghost. I straightened my shoulders. Heads were going to roll for this.

I do love a good “what am I?” Mystery. This is going to be a slow reveal of unknown magical powers and I’m so keen for that! In book one we only get introduced to the vampires and werewolves, who are the main supes, but also one Satyr. There is also mention of goblins and possibly a couple other things I’ve forgotten, but I’m really looking forward to seeing more of this supernatural world, and what the hell is Emma Bellamy and why does she come back from the dead? 

A Supe-Filled London


The London setting makes it feel so realistic. The author obviously knows the city well and has done her research. The vampires live in Soho, which is full of bars where you can go if you’re trying to catch the eye of a bloodsucker. St James Park gets turned into a werewolf only zone during the full moon. It just works really well and the little touches, like the sandwich shop in the werewolf quarter with the best roast beef in the city. 

‘We’re in the bloodiest, most meat-driven quarter in the entire City of London, and those idiots at Head Office send me a vegetarian. Unbelievable.’

Names have power. It’s a classic fantasy trope, but I like the way it is done here. If you know someone’s real name then, if you are more dominant/powerful than they are, you can potentially compel them to do what you want. This leads to Tony giving Emma the nickname D’artagnon, super cool, but also helps with the slow reveal of Emma’s supernatural nature. She doesn’t realise it at first but she compels two werewolves to stop fighting early on, showing that she is more powerful than any regular human. 

‘I’ve far too much going on in my life to be intimidated by a vampire. Or a Lord.’ Or by anyone who wasn’t trying to kill me.

Interesting world-building where both the vampires and werewolves have their own districts in London, and their populations are strictly controlled. They don’t live forever, but they do carefully choose who they will turn. Supe Squad is there to keep them in line. One detective for all the vampires and werewolves. Yep. Makes sense. But then, the supes follow their own rules. Can Emma learn to follow them before death catches up with her again?

Book 2 Infernal Enchantment available now!

Happy reading!

If you enjoyed this review follow this blog for updates and find me on Instagram  @iwishiownedabookstore or add me on Goodreads ðŸ’—

No comments:

Post a Comment