Monday 18 November 2019

Dragon Marked by Jaymin Eve

Dragon Marked by Jaymin Eve
Supernatural Prison #1
My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


Jessa Lebron is a wolf shifter living in the supernatural prison community of Stratford. A town where powerful supernaturals (shifters, vampires, wizards and fey) guard the prison and protect their secrets from the human world. But things are about to get shaken up when some supes are mysteriously murdered, and when Jessa’s mother (who abandoned her years ago) returns bringing a dangerous secret: Jessa is dragon marked. She was touched by a thousand year old curse from birth. The dragon marked are destined to resurrect the fallen dragon king, and because of this they are hunted. When Jessa finds herself locked up in Vanguard, the prison full of dangerous criminals, she and her best friend Braxton Compass, a powerful dragon shifter, must survive while keeping her secret safe.  



Overall Impression: I really enjoyed reading this but I only gave it four stars because the writing isn’t the best. This is one of the authors’ earlier works and I keep coming back to read more of her books so she must be doing something right. The characters are really fun, and the story is captivating, combined with some cool world-building and entertaining dialogue, which I think makes up for the sometimes unsophisticated writing style. I still definitely want to read the rest of the series to find out what happens with the dragon king, and what makes Jessa special. There are only hints of romance in this book, but you can tell it’s leading to more, and I’m looking forward to reading that.

Our MC Jessa is a strong-willed alpha wolf shifter who likes cake (I love her already) and kicks butt  when she wants to. She does not back down from a fight and is constantly vying for equal dominance with her four best friends the Compass brothers. They are quadruplets born from hybrid parents, so each one is a different race of supernatural, a dragon shifter, vampire, wizard and fey, (it’s magic just go with it) and all four are powerful, destined to be the next leaders of their community.
Having grown up together the five of them are very close, and the book has some reverse harem vibes going on, even though it isn’t. All supes have one true mate, and are always the same race, so one guess who Jessa will end up with 😉. (If you do want a RH book by this author try Trickery, it’s really good.)

[Mild spoilers below]

The supernaturals in this world are strong, with emotions to match and are often violent, hence the need for a prison town. The boys believe that the council leaders are hiding something, and are trying to find their way in to the magically hidden prison Vanguard to find out what. Meanwhile Jessa’s mother returns, bringing a sister she knew nothing about, as well as the dangerous secret of the sisters’ dragon marks. All the dragon marked are hunted and imprisoned (even the children), because of the promise that the murderous dragon king would use them to rise again and try to take over the world. When Jessa and the boys find out that children are being imprisoned they try to save them. Their plan goes wrong, and Jessa ends up being thrown in the prison where her dragon mark (having been hidden by magic) is unlocked. I’ll stop there so I don’t give everything away, but this story has a nicely complex plot with several elements woven together.

This book has plenty of action, as well as a lot of intrigue surrounding the council members. My favourite part is probably the mystery of the dragon marked. Nobody seems to know much about them and every answer leads to more questions. Will the evil dragon king rise again? Why are children being locked up?  And what is special about Jessa’s dragon mark?

If you like urban fantasy with dragon shifters and a slow burn romance then definitely give this one a try. You won’t be disappointed with the story and Jessa is an awesome and sassy fighter who makes a great role model.

Thanks for reading and I would love to know what you think of my first review! ❤

8 comments:

  1. Definitely adding this to my ‘to read’ list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review. To be honest, I was planning to skip this series until I read this, now I'm super keen 😏 haha. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started this series a while ago and liked the first two books but something happened around book 3 that just didn't do it for me anymore. Maybe it was the writing that finally got to me, like you mentioned, it truly wasn't the authors best. Great review! Hope you continue to enjoy this series ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering you have read / reviewed more of this series - I'm assuming the writing must have gotten better for you to continue ! This is totally my style of story so I will have to look into it ! Thanks for dropping by my blog as well ! <3 michelle @thepassionatebookworm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 😀 Sorry I just saw this comment. The writing got a bit better, and I was just really into the story. Did you end up checking it out?

      Delete